BASIC FOOD AND DRINK
There are some foods that are native to Gor, but the basic
fare of the Gorean diet tends to be simple. Goreans are meat and
potato people. Since so much of your time in the Taverns is spent
serving, it would seem logical that you should become familiar
with the food of Gor. Most of the patrons are interested in the
drinks provided so we will look at them first.
GOREAN FOOD AND DRINK
- Ka-la-na: A sweet wine made from
the ka-la-na fruit. a strong drink. can be served
warm or cool. In Treve some prefer it heated to
different degrees. It is made from the grapes of
the Ka-la-na plants and some of the best come
from the City of Ar.The drink is often a
symbolizes romantic love
- Paga: Some is brewed from the
Sa-Tarna grain. Some is brewed from the Sul. Sul
paga is a strong, clear, lumpy drink.A grain
liquor made from Sa-tarna, it is similar to
whiskey and is symbolic of physical love
- Kal-da: A beverage, served hot
from copper kettles, of cheap ka-la-na wine and
the juices of fresh fruits, such as tospit and
larma, and spices. Served like beer, it is cheap
and will get you drunk eventually, and is
actually pretty good, until you get to the bottom
of the kettle. Ugh!!
- Tea: A beverage of leaves steeped
in hot water. The tea from Bazi is very much like
the orange pekoe of Earth. It is served in higher
- Chocolate: made from beans brought
back on one of the early Voyages of Acquisition,
this is the same as the chocolate of Earth. It is
served in higher class establishments .
- Black Wine: made from coffee beans
brogught back on one of the early Voyages of
Acquisition, this is the same as the coffee of
Earth. It is best served in the style of the
desert; small cups, very hot, thick and sweet
Plain blackwine can be had even in lower class
- Sul: golden brown. Starchy.
Tuberous root of the Sul Plant (not unlike the
potato on Urth). One way of serving is to break
it open and fill it with melted Bosk cheese. Can
be distilled into the drink called paga.
- Bosk: This animal closely
resembles a Yak of Urth, used for many things on
Gor. Can be served roasted and sliced, or as
steaks. The milk of the bosk is very drinkable
and can be used to make cheese and churned for
- Vulo: A small pidgeon-like bird.
Can be cooked and eaten. The very small eggs are
cooked for the breakfast meal by frying them in a
large, flat pan. Takes several birds or many eggs
to make a meal.
- Blackwine: A drink brewed from the
bean that grows on the slopes of the Thentis
Mountains. It is said that these beans were
brought to Gor from an acquisition raid to Urth.
They are very similar to the coffee bean of Urth.
Served steaming hot.
- Yellow Bread: See Sa-Tarna Bread.
- Larma Fruit: A sweet fruit. It is
- Tospits: The tospit is yellow in
color. Small, peach-like fruit that is about the
size of a plum. They are bitter, but edible.
Often they are dried and candied.
- Sa-Tarna: A grain, yellow in
color. It is a staple of Gor. It is brewed into
Paga. It is also ground and used to bake the
Sa-Tarna Bread that is a staple food at every
Gorean meal. The bread is a rounded, flat loaf
that is yellow in color. It is marked, before
baking, into six sections.
- Tarsk: This meat is roasted. On
way to prepare it is stuffed with Suls and
Peppers from the City of Tor.
- Peas: These are mentioned as a
menu item, but not described.
- Olives: These are commonly from
the City of Tor. (referred to as Torian Olives.
- Cheese: Can be made from the milk
of the Bosk or the Verr.
- Verr: A goat-like animal. The meat
can be eaten. It's milk can be used for drinking
or the making of cheese and butter.
- Butter: Churned from the milk of
the Bosk or the Verr.
- Red Olives: These come from the
groves of Tyros.
- Cosian Wingfish: Called so for
it's ability to "fly" above the waters
of Thassa for short distances. It's livers are
considered a delicacy.
- Tur-Pah. It is an unknown type
- Parsit Fish: Slender, striped.
- Dates: These come from the City of
Encyclopedia of Gor
Copyright © 1996-99 Gorean